Employers Must Use Workers’ Compensation Insurance—With Few Exceptions
In general, most employers in Idaho must carry workers’ compensation insurance. This type of insurance is designed to compensate employees who are injured while on-the-job. In exchange, the employee typically forfeits his or her right to sue the employer. Exceptions to the rule requiring employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance apply to employers who do not have any full-time, part-time, seasonal, or occasional employees. Also, employers who do have such employees but qualify under a specific exemption under state law.
Employers That Are Exempt From Workers’ Compensation Requirements
Certain types of employment are exempt from the requirement to carry workers’ compensation insurance. These include the following:
- Household domestic service.
- Sole proprietor’s who employ their family members that are part of their household.
- Sole proprietor’s who employ their family members that do not reside in the same household, but who apply for an exemption from the Industrial Commission.
- Working members of a partnership or limited liability company
- Officers of a corporation who also own at least 10 percent of the stock of the company, and who are also directors.
- Employment covered under Federal Workers’ Compensation Laws.
- Pilots of dusting planes or agricultural spraying planes, under certain circumstances.
- Real estate brokers paid on commission.
- Volunteer ski patrollers.
- Officials of certain athletic competitions.
- Casual, occasional, or irregular employment that is not related to the type of business of the employer.
The category of employers who do not have to carry workers’ compensation insurance is narrow in order to protect employees. Injuries on-the-job can result in significant medical, financial, and emotional costs to the victim. This insurance assists the employee with financial assistance for lost wages, medical care, and vocational rehabilitation.
Did you find this article helpful? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, where we will help keep you up-to-date with additional informative links.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Employers Must Use Workers’ Compensation Insurance—With Few Exceptions"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."