Motorists Cause Motorcycle Accidents in Many Ways With Deadly Results
While riding a motorcycle can be exhilarating, it can also be extremely dangerous for riders. The good news is that motorcycle accidents are decreasing. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were fewer deaths and accidents in 2013 as compared to 2012. However, the numbers are still alarming:
- 4,668 motorcyclists were killed in 2013, a six percent decrease from 2012.
- 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in 2013, a five percent decrease from 2012.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
While motorcyclists can follow safety measures, such as wearing a helmet, to help prevent serious injuries if they are involved in a crash, other motorists are often to blame in causing these accidents. Common ways these wrecks occur include:
- Cars making left-hand turns. These accidents often occur when a motorist fails to see the motorcycle or judges its speed incorrectly.
- Head-on collisions. Head-on collisions are a major cause of motorcycle accidents. Many of these crashes occur because inattentive drivers do not see the motorcyclist.
- Sudden-stop collisions. If a vehicle is driving too close to a motorcyclist who must suddenly stop, the vehicle can rear-end the motorcycle. This can cause the rider to be thrown off his bike, causing him to suffer serious injuries or death.
- Cars suddenly switching lanes. When drivers suddenly switch lanes, they may not see the motorcyclist or he could be in their blind spot, with disastrous results for the rider.
- Open car doors. When drivers and their passengers do not look before opening their vehicle doors, they can hit an unsuspecting motorcyclist, resulting in the rider being thrown from his bike.
Motorcyclists can suffer very serious injuries—like traumatic brain injury, serious fractures, spinal cord injuries, amputations, and death—in accidents with other motorists.
If you or a family member was injured in a motorcycle accident, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and emotional trauma. Fill out our online form to schedule a FREE consultation to learn about your legal options and how I can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Motorcycle Accidents Cause Serious Injuries to Riders"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."