What the VW Emission Scandal Settlement Means to You Own a Volkswagen
In October 2016, the Volkswagen (VW) $14.7 billion emission scandal settlement with the U.S. government was approved by U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco, paving the way for consumers to get relief under the agreement. It's the largest auto scandal settlement in U.S. history.
This agreement resolves the scandal that began in 2015, when VW admitted to installing software in its diesel-engine cars from 2009 through 2015 in order to bypass emissions standards. Volkswagen’s Beetles, Jettas, Golfs, Passats, and some Audi A3s with 2-litre diesel engines are covered under the settlement. Approximately 475,000 Americans are covered by this settlement.
Your Options Under the VW Emission Scandal Agreement
Volkswagen is already implementing the terms of the settlement, which applies to current owners and lessees of eligible vehicles, as well as some former owners and lessees. Under the terms of the agreement, you could have the following options:
- Have Volkswagen buy back your vehicle.
- If your vehicle is leased, you can terminate your lease without any early termination penalty as long as it is leased through Volkswagen Credit, Inc. or Audi Financial Services.
- If an emission modification is developed and approved by all required agencies, you can receive an approved emission modification at no cost to you and receive an extended emission warranty.
- These three options come with cash compensation of up to $10,000.
- Some former owners and lessees of vehicles may be eligible for compensation if they registered online as an eligible seller, or submitted an Eligible Seller Identification Form by September 16, 2016.
Complete details of the settlement as well as links to a paper claim form or an online claims portal can be found on VW’s settlement website. VW also just settled an additional lawsuit regarding another set of vehicles involved in this scandal. Details should be available soon on the VW settlement website.
Were you or a family member injured due to a defective consumer product? You may have a claim against the manufacturer and other parties for compensation for your injuries. Contact us to schedule a free case evaluation to learn about your legal options and how we can assist you in enforcing them.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "VW Emission Scandal Settlement Approved"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."