Is Your Lawyer Refusing to Return Your Calls?
When you’re involved in a car accident on I-84 or I-184, you may hire a lawyer to represent you. You probably assume that she will do all she can to work for you and will answer you whenever you have important questions. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case, and clients can be left without help.
Not only is it frustrating when a lawyer fails to communicate with you, it is an ethics violation and can also serve as grounds for a legal malpractice claim. This is particularly so when a lawyer fails to get consent from a client or doesn’t adequately inform the client in regards to matters with his case.
An Attorney Is Obligated to Communicate With a Client
According to the ethics standards in the American Bar Association Model Rule 1.4: Communications, a lawyer “shall explain a matter to the extent reasonably necessary to permit the client to make informed decisions regarding the representation.” The rule also requires that a lawyer should:
- Keep a client reasonably informed about a matter.
- Talk to the client about what kind of plan he has regarding the case.
- Promptly reply to reasonable requests for information.
- Inform the client in a timely manner about any decision or circumstance that occurs in regards to the case.
- Consult with the client about any relevant limitation on the lawyer’s conduct when the lawyer knows that the client expects assistance not permitted by the Rules of Professional Conduct or other laws.
You Have Rights
When an attorney fails to respond, you probably feel stressed, angered, and helpless. Fortunately, you can do something about it. The attorneys of Morton Law Offices may be able to help you file a case against your negligent attorney. We know how frustrating it can be when you’re ignored. Contact us today through our website or by giving us a call to see how we may be able to assist you.
If you like what you’ve read, we encourage you to share this article with your social media friends!
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "When Your Lawyer Won’t Call You"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."