Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

Nursing Home, Assisted Living, or Independent Living: Which One is Right for Your Loved One?

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

You knew the day would eventually come when it was time to move your parent out of her home and into a senior facility. However, you didn’t know it would come so quickly, and you are unprepared.

You’ve seen advertisements for nursing homes, assisted living and independent living facilities, but you’re not sure of the differences between them and don’t know which would better suit your parent.

How Much Assistance Does Your Loved One Need?

If you don’t choose the proper facility for your parent, she may not receive the appropriate care for her needs, which could result in tragedy. Here, we discuss the differences between the types of facilities.

  • Independent living. If your loved one is still able to care for herself, is healthy, enjoys getting out and doing things, and wants to be around the company of others her age, an independent living facility may be what she needs. These facilities often feature studio or multi-room apartments with kitchens, so that residents can live as independently as possible, but also have common areas for socializing. Medical and personal care are generally not provided in these facilities.
  • Assisted-living facilities. Those who need some help when completing day-to-day activities, but are still relatively healthy and don’t require the assistance of a nurse, may choose assisted-living facilities. These residents typically live in private or semi-private rooms within a complex and have help available whenever they need it.
  • Nursing homes. Also called skilled nursing facilities, nursing homes are typically required by those who have mental conditions or illnesses that require 24-hour care and monitoring. Rooms are typically private or semi-private, and meals are usually provided.

Protect the Ones You Love

If you believe your loved one isn’t receiving the care she should in a nursing home or assisted-living facility, the Morton Law Offices may be able to help you speak up for her when she can’t. Contact us today to learn how.

Category: Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect


There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Which Type of Senior Housing Is Right for Your Loved One?"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.