Q I was involved in a car accident with a drunk driver, what should I do next?
Following a car accident involving a drunk driver, your first concern should clearly be your health and well-being as well as the health and well-being of your passengers. Once these concerns are addressed, however, it is important to begin thinking about your legal rights. Boise car accidents caused by drunk drivers can result in substantial financial, emotional, and physical harm to the other motorists involved in the crash. You may be facing lost time from work, enormous medical bills, and the loss of your vehicle. It is therefore crucial that you consider carefully each step taken after the accident that could ultimately impact your ability to obtain compensation.
Important Steps to Take After a Car Accident
- Obtain medical treatment from a qualified professional.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene.
- Contact an experienced attorney who can help you gather the proper evidence, file claims, and ensure that you comply with any applicable deadlines.
- Keep copies of all medical records.
- Maintain copies of receipts for all expenditures—including those for property damage and medical bills.
- Obtain statements from any witnesses to the crash.
- Calculate your financial losses due to time lost from work, both current and projected future earnings.
- Obtain a copy of the police report for the crash.
- Avoid talking to insurance companies or other attorneys without first speaking with your lawyer.
- Do not sign anything until your attorney has reviewed it. Often, insurance companies will try to pressure you to settle quickly following a Boise car crash.
We strongly encourage you to share this article with your friends and loved ones on Facebook, as a drunk driving accident could happen to anyone at any time. We also invite you to follow our page for more helpful information and links.