Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

What compensation could I be entitled to in my premises liability case?


lawyer and clientOnce you're certain you're receiving the medical care you need after your accident, the next important step could involve the accountability of the business or property owner who caused your slip and fall or other premises liability accident. You may wonder how much compensation could you be entitled to, and this is a perfectly normal concern, especially since you could be off work for weeks, months, or longer while you recover.

Types of Compensation You May Obtain in a Premises Liability Case

Make sure to understand the types of compensation recoverable in premises liability cases so you ask for everything you deserve when making a settlement offer. Under Idaho law, you could be entitled to the following:

  • Past and future medical expenses. Your medical treatments could be expensive, and you want to be certain you know your prognosis and future medical expenses before settling your case. You're also entitled to assistive aids such as crutches, wheelchairs, and other home health items; transportation costs to your doctor appointments; and in-home health and other care.

  • Past and future wages. Besides the wages you've lost and will lose while you're off work healing, you could be entitled to lost benefits, such as vacation and sick days; retirement benefits; bonuses and commissions; and perks of your job. If you're unable to return to your former job or are permanently disabled, you might also be entitled to damages for your lost earning capacity.

  • Pain and suffering. You're entitled to receive compensation for the physical pain and suffering and emotional trauma you experienced as a result of your injuries and their effect on your day-to-day life. An experienced attorney can help you value this portion of your claim.

  • Loss of consortium. This damage award is for a spouse to compensate him or her for the loss of his or her partner's support, companionship, and marital and sexual relationship.

  • Punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded to punish the business or property owner and are only given in the most severe cases.

  • Wrongful death. If the injured accident victim dies from his injuries, his close family may bring a wrongful death action to recover funeral expenses, wages lost due to the person’s death, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and other concerns.

Idaho’s Cap on Non-Economic Damages

Compensation for pain and suffering and punitive damages are considered non-economic damages. In Idaho, these types of damages are limited to three times the compensatory damages—for example, medical expenses and lost wages—up to $250,000.

Were you injured at a business or other property? Call our firm today at 888.716.8021 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to learn about the compensation you deserve.