Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

Who could be responsible for your injury compensation in a premises liability accident?


gavel_on_moneyWhen you're injured in a premises liability accident, you want justice and to be compensated for your injuries. After all, it wasn't your fault that you were hurt and had to take time work off for recovery. One way to increase the chances that you'll receive proper reimbursement is to pursue claims against all potentially liable parties.

Who Could Be Liable in a Premises Liability Case?

Determining the entities responsible for damages compensation may be more complicated than you think. It could be based in part on the agreements between property owners and other parties. In some cases, more than one party could face liability.

Here are some of the potential negligent parties in a premises liability case:

  • Property owner. One of the most likely parties to be at least partially responsible is the property owner. If you were injured at someone’s home or at a business occupied by the owner, the liability of the property or business owner should be fairly clear cut.
  • Renter or lessee. In some cases, a property owner leases out property to another individual or entity. The lease agreement could specify that the renter or lessee is responsible for maintaining and repairing the property. In this situation, the renter or lessee could face primary liability for compensating you. However, you may still be able to pursue a claim against the owner if the facts show that its inaction or negligence contributed to the accident.
  • Property managers. Some landlords hire a management company or property manager to take care of rental property, such as apartment complexes, office buildings, and malls. In some cases, the management company is responsible for maintaining common areas, such as parking lots, hallways, entrances to buildings, or apartments. Who bears the most or all of the responsibility for your injuries depends on the agreement between the landlord and management entity as to responsibility for maintenance and liability for injuries.
  • Condominium associations. Like a landlord, an association is often responsible for maintenance and repair of common areas of a condominium project. If you're injured in one of these areas, you may be able to file a claim with the condominium association’s insurance company.
  • Business owner. When businesses lease office, industrial, or retail spaces to operate, they could be liable for compensating you instead of the property owner if you're injured inside or outside the business.
  • Security guard or company. If a business or property owner contracted with a security guard or company, you may have a claim against this party if its negligence contributed to your injuries caused by criminal acts of a person on the property.


You need the assistance of an experienced premises liability attorney to investigate your premises liability accident and identify the correct parties who are responsible for compensating you. Call our office today to schedule your free case evaluation to learn how Morton Law Offices can help you.