Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

What do I do if I suspect an elderly person in my life is the victim of nursing home abuse or neglect?


Along with the bed sores and the weight loss, your mother displays others signs that she is neglected at the nursing home where she resides. She has become depressed, fearful, and reluctant to talk to you about what goes on in her life. You suspect she isn’t receiving the care she deserves, but you’re not sure what to do.

Getting Help for Your Elderly Loved One

The sad truth is senior abuse takes many forms and the victims are often too scared to report the crime. If you believe the senior in your life is abused or neglected, here’s what you can do:

  • Contact Adult Protective Services. By contacting Adult Protective Services (APS) in Idaho, you begin an investigation into your loved one’s situation. A caseworker is assigned to the case and APS will arrange for services to protect your loved one.
  • Call law enforcement. The police department will likely also begin to conduct an investigation into the situation, particularly if sexual abuse or assault occur. If the department believes this abuse has taken place, it may prosecute.
  • Contact a Long-Term Care Ombudsman. A Long-Term Care Ombudsman program will also get involved in the situation by investigating your nursing home complaint and attempting to resolve the issue.

Seek Justice for the Senior in Your Life

Your elderly loved one likely feels she doesn’t have a voice and will simply have to endure the abuse she experiences. This, however, is not the case: you can do something about it.

Along with reporting the mistreatment to the authorities, you can also hire a lawyer to fight for your loved one’s rights and get the justice he or she deserves. Boise Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Trial Attorney Alan Morton has helped many elderly abuse victims in the Boise area and may be able to do the same for you and your loved one.