Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

Should I contact my insurance adjuster when another driver was at fault?


You may be tempted to not contact your insurance company to report a car accident if you weren't at fault, or there was only minor vehicle damage or injuries. However, this would be a big mistake. You could find that you waive important rights—including compensation—that you later wish you had.

Why Report a Car Wreck to Your Insurance Adjuster

insurance_adjusterEven when you initially think you have minor vehicle damage or that you're not injured, this may not truly be the case. Your vehicle could have suffered more serious structural damage than you thought. Your initial physical condition may present symptoms that take days or weeks to develop into something grave, such as traumatic brain injury or back and spinal injuries.

To protect your rights if these possibilities or others develop, you should report the accident to your insurance company.

Keep in mind that reporting the accident isn't the same thing as filing a claim.
You're merely putting your insurance company on notice that an accident occurred.

Here's why reporting your accident is in your best interest:

  • Contract requirement. Your insurance policy is a contract between the insurance company and you. It may require you to report any car accidents, and failure to do so would be a breach of contract.
  • Car damage claim. By giving your insurance company notice of the accident, you preserve the right to file a claim for the cost of car repairs and a car rental while your vehicle is being fixed. So if the negligent driver’s insurance company fails to settle this portion of your claim quickly, you're able to file under your policy.
  • Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage. If you've reported the accident and have this type of coverage, you have another financial option if the negligent driver's liability coverage doesn't fully compensate you.


Do you need to file a claim with a negligent driver’s insurance company following a car accident? Let Alan Morton guide you through the process and fight to obtain the compensation that you deserve. Call our office today to schedule your free consultation.