Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

Quick Clearance Law? What’s That? Our Boise Car Wreck Lawyer Explains.

You’re driving down the road. Out of nowhere, someone slams into the back of your car. Your car slides into the car in front of you. You are now sandwiched between two cars on the road. What do you do now?

Well, if no one is seriously hurt and if your car isn’t disabled and doesn’t require towing, you should probably move it. Why? Because it’s the law.

Idaho’s Quick Clearance law

Idaho adopted a Quick Clearance law in 2005. This law requires drivers to move obstructions off roads as quickly as possible. If you are in a non-injury car crash and if your car is not disabled, doesn’t require towing, can operate under its own power, and can be safely driven, you must move it.

Several important goals can be achieved with this law:

  1. By clearing cars from the road, you give emergency responders and law enforcement officers the space they need to safely perform their jobs.
  2. Clearing the road lessens the chances of a “secondary crash.” A secondary crash occurs after another crash. The longer the first crash remains in the roadway, the greater the odds that a secondary crash will occur. Not only do motorists and passengers get hurt in secondary crashes, but emergency responders and law enforcement officers may also get hurt in secondary crashes.
  3. Closed travel lanes cause problems. Road congestion frustrates other drivers. It also costs Idaho businesses and employees significant losses in missed work time and productivity. More fuel is consumed and hazardous gases are emitted.

What should you do if you are in a crash?

If you are involved in a crash on one of the roads affected by this law, move your vehicle to the shoulder, median, or emergency lane if you can do so safely and if no deaths or injuries resulted from the crash. If someone is seriously hurt or if your car cannot be safely driven, wait for emergency responders and law enforcement officers to help you.

If you get hurt in a car crash, you need to contact an Idaho personal injury attorney for help. Alan L. Morton of Morton Law Offices, Chartered represents victims of car crashes. You may contact him at 208.344.5555 or toll free at 888.716.8021 or by filling out an online form at http://www.mortonlawyers.com/contact.cfm.