Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

Idaho’s Dram Shop Law Could Give You Additional Avenues of Compensation in Your Car Wreck Case

Drunk driving accidents are especially tragic because the driver is so blatantly negligent and the dangers of driving after drinking alcohol have been widely known for decades. These accidents cause horrific injuries and deaths to innocent victims each year. If you or a loved one was injured in one of these accidents, you could be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and physical and emotional trauma from the negligent driver. You may have additional parties you could sue under Idaho’s Dram Shop and Social Host laws which could make it more likely that you are fully compensated for your injuries.

Mixed drinks on a barWhat Is Idaho’s Dram Shop Law?

In Idaho, a victim injured in an automobile accident caused by a drunk driver may be able to also file a lawsuit against the vendor who provided the person with the alcohol under the Dram Shop Law. Claims may be brought against the business or person who sold or furnished the alcohol to the driver who caused your injuries in the following situations:

  • The person who caused the crash was under 21 years old and the provider of the alcohol knew or should have known that he was under 21 years old.
  • The person who caused the crash was 21 or older and was obviously intoxicated and the business or person who provided the alcohol knew or should have known that he was obviously intoxicated.

Only the victim of the accident caused by the drunk driver can bring a claim under the Dram Shop Law. The intoxicated driver or any passengers in his vehicle cannot sue under this law.

Social Hosts Providing Alcohol Could Also Face Liability

Social hosts who supply alcohol to people who then get behind the wheel can also face liability in a drunk driving accident. This law is similar to the Dram Shop law. Social hosts can be sued if they provided alcohol to a guest who was under the age of 21 years old or a person 21 years old or older who was obviously intoxicated and later caused a crash.

Idaho’s Time Limit for Giving Written Notice of Your Injury

Idaho requires you to give written notice of a potential claim to the vendor or social host within 180 days of the date of your injury. If you fail to do so, you would not be able to file a lawsuit under the Dram Shop or Social Host laws, although you may still have a claim against the drunk driver.

Were you or a loved one injured in a drunk driving accident? I urge you to call me at 888.716.8021 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation as soon as possible to not miss the deadline to notify the vendor or social host of your claim.