How to Determine a Negligent Security Claim Against a Business or Property Owner
Business and property owners have a duty in Idaho to protect guests from dangerous situations. If you were hurt on their properties due to a robbery, assault, or other criminal act of a third party, you may have grounds for a negligent security claim. However, you'll need the assistance of an experienced premises liability attorney who can fight to obtain the compensation that you may deserve.
What Is a Negligent Security Claim?
While businesses and other property owners cannot control the actions of criminals, they're obligated to provide guests with basic security measures and to warn them of anticipated dangers. An inadequate security claim may be brought against owners when an individual is attacked or injured due to the lack of or inadequate security. The claim is that the owner was negligent by failing to enact reasonable security measures.
Businesses and facilities where security measures are required include:
- Apartment complexes and other rental properties
- Restaurants, bars, and nightclubs
- Hotels and motels
- Grocery stores, retail stores, and shopping malls
- Train stations, airports, and bus stations and stops
- Gyms, sports facilities, and sports stadiums
- Amusement parks and other recreational facilities
- Banks and ATM access points
- Office buildings
- Schools and universities
- Parking lots and garages
How Might Some Owners Fail to Provide Property Security to Guests?
The obligation to provide sufficient security entails many measures other than hiring security guards to patrol the property. Some negligent security actions include:
- Failure to repair broken doors, locks, latches, and gates
- Failure to repair or replace malfunctioning or defective alarm systems
- Failure to provide adequate lighting
- Failure to provide fencing to protect against criminal activity
- Failure to provide security guards in high crime areas, or staffing with guards who are improperly trained, inadequate, or often absent
- Failure to replace missing security or surveillance cameras or to repair broken units
- Failure to repair or replace damaged emergency call boxes
Were you injured in a criminal act due to the negligent security of a business or property owner? Alan Morton is here to help you build your case and negotiate your settlement. Call our office today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your situation.