How to Pick the Right Lawyer for Your Car Crash Case
Hiring an experienced attorney can be daunting if you have been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver. There are so many attorneys who handle these cases. How do you know if one is good or bad? Here, I will share some tips on what to look for to pick the attorney that you feel confident is right for your case.
How to Find an Attorney That You Can Trust to Obtain a Good Result for You
There are a number of ways you can obtain the names of attorneys who handle car accident cases. You can ask for referrals from friends, family, or business associates who have retained an attorney to handle a similar case for them. If you had an attorney you liked in another type of matter—for example, estate planning or a divorce—you can ask him or her for the name of a good attorney who handles car crash cases. Other ways to locate attorneys are through an Internet search and researching the attorneys’ websites or getting a referral from your state bar association. Once you have narrowed your choices to a few attorneys, you will want to consider the following as you conduct further research and interview them:
- Experience. You want an attorney who has had significant experience handling car and other accident cases. He will understand the possible problems in your case and how to overcome them. In addition, you should look for an attorney who has a record of taking cases to trial when they do not settle for what the victim is entitled to rather than someone who simply takes an offer from the insurance company to avoid the work of a trial.
- Credentials. Having an attorney who went to a prestigious law school may not be as important as his credentials as an attorney. Board certifications, peer ratings from other attorneys, and other awards could tell you more about whether an attorney is experienced and respected in accident cases.
- Track record. While successes in past cases do not guarantee that you will obtain the same outcome, you want to review an attorney’s record to gain insight into the types of cases he routinely handles and how successful he is in settling or trying them.
- What other clients say. Your evaluation of an attorney should include reviews from other clients either on their websites, through references, or reviews on other attorney-related websites.
- Who will handle your case. Many attorneys work in a firm with other attorneys—some of whom are less experienced associates. While associates and paralegals may perform routine work, you want to be certain you are evaluating and meeting with the attorney who will be performing the majority of the work on your case.
- Communication. When you meet with the attorney, you want to be certain that you communicate well with him and feel you can trust him. Just as important, you want to know what the best way is to communicate with him in the future—e-mail or telephone calls—and how promptly he will respond to your requests for updates or to answer questions.
If you are looking for an experienced car accident attorney, check out my Testimonials and Case Results to see how I have helped people like you obtain the compensation they deserve. Then call me at 888.716.8021 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.