Understand Client-Attorney Expectations So You Get You the Settlement You Deserve
In the event of a car accident, slip and fall incident, or another personal injury case, you and your attorney are a team, working to reach the goal of obtaining the settlement you deserve for your injuries. This partnership is reinforced by good communication and a clear understanding of what each of you expects from one another. Your personal attorney should work hard to investigate your case and negotiate a just settlement, competently represent you, and contacting you frequently about the status of your case.
Similarly, your attorney has a right to certain expectations about how you will act in terms of helping him prove your case.
What Does Your Attorney Expect From You in a Personal Injury Case?
Just like you want your attorney to provide expert consultation and service, you want to be a good client for him. Some common expectations your lawyer may have of you include:
- Not lying. If you're untruthful, there's a good chance it could hurt his ability to settle your claim for what you are owed.
- Maintaining a professional relationship
- Abiding by the guidelines in the retainer agreement or contract you signed.
- Gathering all evidence and other necessary documents, and prepare any timeline or written narrative your attorney requests.
- Keeping him copied on any new evidence you discover.
- Following his advice.
- Understanding that he's representing other clients.
- Replying to his requests for information in a timely fashion.
- Keeping him updated on the status of your medical treatment and prognosis.
- Informing him as soon as possible if you're unable to attend any hearings in your case.
- You pay all bills on time.
Do you need an attorney’s assistance with a car, truck, or motorcycle crash, slip and fall accident, or other personal injury case? Call our office to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.