Five Reasons to Hire an Experienced Attorney for Your Truck Crash Claim
If you must file a claim for injuries after a large truck accident, it's best not to handle the claim on your own.
Truck injury claims are more complex than passenger vehicle crashes, and negotiations for a fair settlement can be complicated.
In order to receive the full value of your claim, having an experienced lawyer represent you is crucial to receiving a proper settlement.
Five Reasons to Hire an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney
If you're involved in a crash with a big rig, one key point to remember about hiring an attorney for your claim is that you need to retain one experienced in representing victims of truck accidents. An attorney who only handles passenger car accidents won't have sufficient experience or knowledge to provide you with the representation you need.
Here's why a truck accident attorney is essential:
- Understanding the law. There are many state and federal laws and regulations governing truck drivers, big-rigs, and trucking companies. Often a violation of these rules causes or contributes to an accident. An experienced attorney can identify the claims you have based on these violations, which will strengthen your case and your ability to get a fair settlement.
- Identifying multiple parties. Depending on causation, more than one party may be liable to compensate you for injuries. These can include the trucker, trucking company, a repair facility responsible for truck maintenance, a cargo shipper, and others. An attorney who handles these cases will spot what caused your wreck and which parties can be held accountable.
- Preserving evidence. Much of the evidence you need to prove a truck driver’s and trucking company’s negligence is in the possession of the company. An experienced attorney understands the importance of completing a thorough investigation and promptly sending a spoliation letter to advise the company of your claim and the documents it's required to preserve before evidence is destroyed.
- Valuing your claim. Because victims of truck wrecks tend to suffer more serious injuries due to the truck’s size and weight, claims tend to be of higher value. An attorney who has represented many truck crash victims will be able to demonstrate how much your claim is worth based on liability, the severity of your injuries, and the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
- Negotiating complex negotiations. Negotiations in truck crash cases can be more complicated due to the potentially increased value of your claim and the multiple liable parties involved. A skilled attorney in these types of cases increases the likelihood you'll receive what you deserve. And if necessary, he can file a lawsuit on your behalf while he continues with negotiations.
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck wreck, Alan Morton is ready to answer your questions and help file your claim. Fill out our online form to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation to learn more.