Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888.716.8021
Phone: 208.344.5555
Morton Law Offices, Chartered

Is Your Insurer Refusing to Pay Your Car Accident Claim?

Alan Morton
Advocate for Justice/Trial Lawyer

http://www.MortonLawyers.com If you were in a car accident on highway 26 or anywhere in the Boise area, you may assume that your insurance company will be there for you to cover your damages. However, sometimes insurance companies act in bad faith and deny perfectly good claims.

If you sustained a loss that is supposed to be covered under your insurance policy but your insurer wrongfully denied your claim, you may be a victim of bad faith. In Idaho, an insurance company has 60 days following receipt of the proof of loss to pay the insured the money he or she is due under the terms of the insurance policy. If the insurance company has delayed paying you or has denied your claim, you may have a bad faith claim against the insurer. Additionally, you have the right to hold the insurer responsible for your attorney fees if they failed to pay you within the 60-day window from the date your proof of loss was submitted and received by your insurance company

To learn more about your rights and how to protect your interests, contact a bad faith attorney to discuss your claim against the insurance carrier. You can reach the Morton Law Offices in Boise for a free consultation today at 208.344.5555 or call toll free at 888.716.8021 or complete the online contact form at http://www.mortonlawyers.com/contact.cfm.